Rune2006
We need a more stable server. - Printable Version

+- Rune2006 (http://rune2006.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Rune2006 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Game Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: We need a more stable server. (/showthread.php?tid=1260)

Pages: 1 2

We need a more stable server. - Ruler Doug - 07-14-2013 03:33 PM

I am so f***ing frustrated. I have a super hard puzzle box from my first level 3 clue scroll. I've solved these before on regular runescape but this one is really difficult. I had spent 30 minutes on it, and was down to the last two boxes, however, when all of a sudden... guess what? Server DC. as everyone laughs at my failed attempt. So it resets and my hard work is gone. Again I spend like 15 more minutes and im down to my last box and... yup. server DC. Toss A Baby called that it would happen in game, and it happened. I tried again for another minute and got lagged out again. So yes while I'm frustrated for a funny and also slightly selfish reason, it begs the fact that our server disconnects so often that its become a regular and almost overlooked disturbance. And while those of us who have been on here longer are used to it, many new players won't expect the frequent disconnects.

The moral of the story is that I'm not mad, Plural, for the server you have rune2006 running on, and I am eternally grateful for your hard work, that I would like to suggest a donation box. Because some of us have discussed that it is appropriate so that rune2006 may run smoothly on a more stable host. And so that you can maintain the domain name, advertise, etc. with how much money is donated, with the main focus on server quality. Don't take it as payment, take it as our appreciation and our duty to help upkeep the server.

Also, if you do go through with this, don't give any rewards to those who donate, though I figure you wouldn't anyways. We shouldn't feel obligated to. But for those like me who have reason to, or those who feel a little generous or a have a comfortably full bank account, we'd like to donate.

RE: We need a more stable server. - Versa - 07-14-2013 04:32 PM

This doesn't happen that often, I think the host is still recovering from the ddos the other day. But theres no need for a change.

RE: We need a more stable server. - Roxfan202 - 07-14-2013 05:07 PM

(07-14-2013 04:32 PM)Versa Wrote:  This doesn't happen that often, I think the host is still recovering from the ddos the other day. But theres no need for a change.

This.

RE: We need a more stable server. - Ruler Doug - 07-14-2013 05:41 PM

(07-14-2013 05:07 PM)Roxfan202 Wrote:  [quote='Versa' pid='7923' dateline='1373790759']
This doesn't happen that often, I think the host is still recovering from the ddos the other day. But theres no need for a change.

i guess the main point of my rant was for a donations box. its not that much of a change

RE: We need a more stable server. - Roxfan202 - 07-14-2013 07:12 PM

(07-14-2013 05:41 PM)Ruler Doug Wrote:  
(07-14-2013 05:07 PM)Roxfan202 Wrote:  [quote='Versa' pid='7923' dateline='1373790759']

i guess the main point of my rant was for a donations box. its not that much of a change

Yes, I agree on that point, All though i'm not sure if plural would take donations Confused

RE: We need a more stable server. - Aaron - 07-14-2013 09:31 PM

Maybe donators can have a no time limit on the yell small reward but its not an advantage just nice thing

RE: We need a more stable server. - Plural - 07-14-2013 11:37 PM

I currently only pay a low price for a ddos protected solution. For me to be honest sometimes there can be some lag on the network but that only occurs maybe 10 mins a day. I'd we are looking for something from a different provider with the same specs and ddos protection we need 200$ a month or more, which would mean I'd have to charge all of you 5$ a month (which will of course not happen...). I've never been doing this project to earn anything from it. It's nice to get some extra money to fund the servers, but the price is going up quickly when you look elsewhere. It took me a long time to find a "cheaper" solution that still has pretty good quality.
Also note that these dcs are not always related to the server. Only if there is a mass DC it is the server, if only you DC, then it is your own connection!

If people really prefer it I can look for non ddos protected servers. There are pretty good ones out there that I know of.
Unfortunately the risk you take with that is if 1 person decides to launch another ddos attack you will be down for several days or weeks. With the current server there is unmetered bandwith, if a ddos happened on a metered server and you have to pay for additional bandwidth, I could face thousands of dollars if the attack is too heavy. So I'd most likely need to nullroute it invade there is a ddos on such a system. Meaning over a month of downtime. To be honest I personally never have the least bit of lag myself.
I guess my best bet is to contact my current host and ask them if there is any way to get a better quality network (which will probably cost additional money).

RE: We need a more stable server. - Aaron - 07-15-2013 12:04 AM

(07-14-2013 11:37 PM)Plural Wrote:  I currently only pay a low price for a ddos protected solution. For me to be honest sometimes there can be some lag on the network but that only occurs maybe 10 mins a day. I'd we are looking for something from a different provider with the same specs and ddos protection we need 200$ a month or more, which would mean I'd have to charge all of you 5$ a month (which will of course not happen...). I've never been doing this project to earn anything from it. It's nice to get some extra money to fund the servers, but the price is going up quickly when you look elsewhere. It took me a long time to find a "cheaper" solution that still has pretty good quality.
Also note that these dcs are not always related to the server. Only if there is a mass DC it is the server, if only you DC, then it is your own connection!

If people really prefer it I can look for non ddos protected servers. There are pretty good ones out there that I know of.
Unfortunately the risk you take with that is if 1 person decides to launch another ddos attack you will be down for several days or weeks. With the current server there is unmetered bandwith, if a ddos happened on a metered server and you have to pay for additional bandwidth, I could face thousands of dollars if the attack is too heavy. So I'd most likely need to nullroute it invade there is a ddos on such a system. Meaning over a month of downtime. To be honest I personally never have the least bit of lag myself.
I guess my best bet is to contact my current host and ask them if there is any way to get a better quality network (which will probably cost additional money).

Is Server down atm? I cannot login again Sad

RE: We need a more stable server. - drew - 07-15-2013 12:14 AM

yeah, these dc's are annoying... especially when you're trying to do anything. i totally get you. and i think it should be fixed Smile

RE: We need a more stable server. - Plural - 07-15-2013 01:34 AM

(07-15-2013 12:14 AM)drew Wrote:  yeah, these dc's are annoying... especially when you're trying to do anything. i totally get you. and i think it should be fixed Smile

Well it isn't a code issue so it really can't be "fixed". If you call it that way at least. Did you read my response?