Rune2006
GMO's and their effects on this planet - Printable Version

+- Rune2006 (http://rune2006.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: World News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: GMO's and their effects on this planet (/showthread.php?tid=851)

GMO's and their effects on this planet - Plural - 05-26-2013 05:22 PM

Since GMO's got introduced in India a few years ago, 200 000 Indian farmers commited suicide due to their effects. Monsanto, the one the main producers of the genetically modified seeds and crops, signed loads of contracts with indian farmers. Monsanto promised them the best financial gain they could possibly get out of their crops. The first year the results are astonishing, some farmers double their income. The crops already contain pesticides and effectively kill all insects. The upcoming years, the soil becomes less fertile, these plants use way more energy than normal crops, and insects become resistant. The plants produce nothing edible anymore. They can't pay Monsanto's seeds. On which Monsanto has a patent. They will retry to replant their old seeds, but their soil is completely dead. Monsanto threatens them with lawsuits, and they commit suicide.

Some farmers also decide yo take a different route. They refuse to work with Monsanto. They keep growing their biological or non biological crops. Monsanto buys some land next to theirs. They grow GMO's on that land. The genes get crossed and the first generation of the biological plants contains traces of the gmo's. Then the farmers get sued because Monsanto has a patent on those genes.

All those thins are also happening in the USA, and mexico. Obama recently signed a law (he didn't make it, he just signed. It like a president is supposed to although he could have used his right to veto) to make Monsanto, Bayer and others irresponsible for any health issues due to their genetically engineered crops.

In Europe Monsanto found a loophole in European law to put a patent on normal crops. Avaaz reacted to this with a petition which got signed more than 2 million times.
They are also trying to push a bill that will restrict farmers to from growing anything besides a select amount of seeds.

This needs to stop.
Sorry if my article is a bit messy but I wrote it from my phone.

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - Plural - 05-26-2013 05:26 PM

You can find the petition by Avaaz here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/monsanto_vs_mother_earth_loc/?slideshow
You can also donate to stop this insanity:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stop_monsanto_nddon/

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - Fruit - 05-26-2013 05:38 PM

Dylan's strong depressing lyrics, and Rise Against's powerful video with even more depressing facts.

Damn this world, the people have gone fucking insane.

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - Kornslipkn - 05-26-2013 06:54 PM

Why are the people of this world so hateful and corrupt...

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - Plural - 05-26-2013 09:39 PM

I really liked this Documentary:

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - Runescape - 05-27-2013 02:12 AM

Watch king korn thats a good documentary.
Alot of farmers commit suicide because of cross-polenation, since monsanto own the seeds they sue the life out of the farmers :\

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - Kornslipkn - 05-27-2013 07:41 PM

(05-27-2013 02:12 AM)Runescape Wrote:  Watch king korn thats a good documentary.
Alot of farmers commit suicide because of cross-polenation, since monsanto own the seeds they sue the life out of the farmers :\

King me? :O

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - dsun - 05-27-2013 11:12 PM

(05-27-2013 07:41 PM)Kornslipkn Wrote:  
(05-27-2013 02:12 AM)Runescape Wrote:  Watch king korn thats a good documentary.

King me? :O

king korn
my king
our king
<3

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - made of veng - 07-13-2013 01:54 AM

GMO's, generally, are a great addition to the agroculture.
Agreed, there are some issues like cross-polentation but in general, they have the potential to be a huge help for farmers/countries with low food supplies.
The problems you are describing are mainly issues with Monsanto or bayern themselves, not with the actual GMO's.
Also, you're mainly talking about crops with inbuilt pesticides to make the whole group of GMO's look like they're bad for the environment, while this is only a real small branch of the industy.
GMO's are actually doing amazing things for farmers in south-mid Africa to increase their flax productions by making them more suitable for the local climate and producing rice with way more proteins than usual.
All in all, GMO's are the future.

RE: GMO's and their effects on this planet - tank - 12-11-2013 01:54 PM

My uncle gave me his thoughts on this. Hes an electrical engineer but hes very educated in real world problems hes a man with morals and believes in what is right for everyone. I also believe this is a major injustice in the world not only to us humans but to nature. I believe GM crops will ruin the planet, there are so many things that point us away from doing things like this. For one there is the fact that these crops will eventually replace real natural crops that have been made over hundreds of millions of years and when we have no more original crops what will happen if something changes with the Earths ecology? Also what effects do these GM crops have on the human body? When our parents were kids and their parents were kids there were few cases of food allergies, now we have peanut allergies, gluten allergies, and wheat allergies. These are all things that humans have consumed for thousands of years and now were all the sudden allergic?

I think first the united states needs to sort out their financial issues, we need to stop giving away all this money we dont have and sticking our nose in other countries business those behaviors are the reason were some 18 trillion plus dollars in debt thats 18,000,000,000,000 thats a huge number that no one can seem to figure out how to get rid of.

Second I think we need a plan to stop the creation/distribution of GMO products whether that be crops,livestock, or anything else for that matter.

Third our countries leaders need to pull their heads out of wherever they seem to be stuck and look at things as a whole, as a bigger picture, not whats good for us, but whats good for nature, whats good for animals and plants and our environment.

I know this rant has kind of gone off topic but all of the things ive stated above ive observed without bias just by turning on the news and observing what is going on in the world. It just seems that these days the world is run as ethically as possible, meaning if bob joe over here decides that coyotes are detrimental to his farm he has the right to petition to the complete termination of a species as long as he can get majority vote on it.